Monday 3 March 2014

A Divine Day of Food

I have a thing where I have to be early for everything. Which goes a little way to explaining my breakfast this morning. While I have been having a craving for simple banana cinnamon porridge lately, I just had to try this. I call it Thanksgiving Baked Oatmeal. I mean, it's ages 'til Thanksgiving. I don't even celebrate Thanksgiving. But I felt the need to make it now, so I could perfect it in time. I'm sure there's some logic in there somewhere...

 
 
It had sweet potato instead of the usual banana you would find in some baked oat recipes... and I may or may not have purposely chosen a huuuuge sweet potato when I had one for tea last week with the express purpose of lopping a bit off the end to experiment with... Anyway. It also had some sultanas, mixed fruit, cranberries, cinnamon and nutmeg. I was going to add some mixed spice, but, well, I have none. I also topped it with a little more cinnamon. I have to say, it was quite successful, but I would like to try it again with some mixed spice, just to compare. Well, I do have plenty of time to fit it in...
 
 
On to lunch. I have been using lunch recipes from my books a bit more these past few weeks, as they usually just get skipped by. I'm glad I have, because all the ones I have made so far have been successful. This particular one is a Sam Stern recipe. It is a sushi inspired tuna wrap. The tuna is mixed with mayonnaise (I used quark) and horseradish, and mixed with chopped spring onions, and cucumber. Some fresh ginger is also grated in. There were supposed to be green leaves in it as well, but as you can see, I forgot today. There's always tomorrow! It was nice and refreshing after my sweaty gym session, but still filling and tided me over nicely until tea.

 
 
Not the best photo in the world, but I promise it tasted better than it looks. That mound of spiced chickpeas and onions hides a griddled mini naan bread, and at the front is some homemade raita and lemon wedges. Given my love of Indian food, this was spot on. And the best part? It only took about 10 minutes to make. Given my love of all things quick and speedy, this was definitely a plus point!
 


 

I finished off the day with this little beauty. I received a recipe book of healthy treats the Christmas before last, and this is only the second thing I have made out of it! The first was Chocolate Brownie Bites . I will definitely be using it more often, and I am even taking it home on Saturday so I can experiment there! This is a Fig and Almond Truffle. You can also see a few cranberries in the picture, and it also had cinnamon in, which of course wins major brownie (or should I say truffle) points. It also inspired me to think of a Christmas themed truffle... yes, I know Christmas is nine months away... safe to say I will start experimenting soon then!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!