Saturday 29 March 2014

Tasty Tofu

Hi! The first week of placement went really well. I was pleased to be able to cook something fresh for tea tonight though. Sticking with the Asian theme (you may remember that I started that last week...), I made a Japanese Tofu Stir Fry. I know some people complain that tofu is tasteless. They have clearly never had this. I put the tofu to marinate in at lunchtime to give it as long as possible. The marinade was ginger, garlic, miso paste, soy, a teensy dash of sesame oil and lemon juice. I tasted some of it straight away, and from that moment I was looking forward to tea. When I was nearly ready to eat, I cooked the rice (the recipe said Jasmine but I used brown!). When the rice was very nearly done, I cooked the stir fry which took all of three minutes. Cook the tofu, add the greens- I used pak choi to keep it Asian- and beansprouts, cook for another mintue and done. The seeds for this were optional, but I love seeds and I was buying some anyway, so I topped it with two teaspoons of seeds.



A seedy close up: pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and linseeds.
 
I'm glad I halved the recipe, it was so filling! Originally I was going to do the whole lot, as the recipe said it served 1-2, but then I got a surprise Chocolate Graze box from my mum in the post today. That was when I decided to halve it, so I would have room for a little treat afterwards!
 
This could actually be a really quick dish. If you marinate the tofu in the morning, or even the night before, then it would take minutes to cook- I'm sure it would be perfectly filling enough without the rice.
 
Another tick in the recipe book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!