Monday 26 August 2013

Amazing Avocado

I have always liked avocado, but recently, I started to LOVE it. I used it today in a salad, but I just have to mention a very good avocado recipe; Nigella Lawson's Rockamole. It's guacamole, but with blue cheese in it. Quite possibly one of the best dips I have ever had. Or just as good eaten with a spoon. Not that I have ever done that..
My amazing avocado!
 
Like I said, this evening I used my avocado in a salad. The two ingredients of the main salad were avocado and a whole lettuce head. It might not sound like a lot, but I can asure you it was very filling. The recipe said to serve it in a bowl, but...

 
This is my bowl with only the lettuce in. No avocado or dressing! So I served it on a plate. 

 
In hindsight, the bowl probably would have been okay, as the avocado was very ripe so I could cut it easily with my fork. Never mind, I'll know for next time!


With the slices of avocado. As the avocado was quite ripe, it cut very easily, but made the slices quite fragile. Most of them stayed intact though, as you can see.


The dressing- it tastes better than it looks, honestly! It's tomato ketchup, soy sauce and minced chilli. I used chillie paste, like I do 99% of the time a recipe says minced chilli. Of course I tried some before I put it on the salad, and it was spicy, and a little bit sweet, but not overly so because of the soy sauce. I know it was neeeaaarly the right amount of chilli to add, because my nose had just started to run when I had nearly finished eating the salad... strange I know, but I like my spicy food to make my nose run. Next time I would add a little bit more. Just a tiny squeeze.


The spicy dressing was a very nice contrast with the creamy avocado, and the lettuce was a contrast in texture; crunchy to soft. Everything just went so well together! And it looks pretty doesn't it? Although in true 'me' style, I messed it up before I ate it. What can I say? Old habits are hard to break.

It has just occured to me that I have blue cheese in the fridge. It makes me a tiny bit sad that I used the whole avocado, as I could have made a mini portion of rockamole. Oh well, when I next go shopping I'll just have to buy another avocado... shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!