Thursday 29 August 2013

Challenging Chopping for Chicken Chow Mein

This should actually have been yesterday's post (I was going to have it yesterday and today for tea), but due to my new shifts and travelling times, I had a quick meal yesterday, and cooked the chicken chow mein today as I was off. Not that yesterday's tea was any less tasty because it was quick- blue cheese and spring onions on toast. Ideal if you like cheese and onion crisps!

So the chow mein had to wait until tonight. It is actually quite quick in the grand scheme of things, but I wanted to do it properly tonight when I had more time. Just a bit of chopping, and I cooked some dried noodles as well as the recipe contpre cooked ones. Dried noodles are cheaper for more weight, which I think is worth it for the four extra minutes it took to cook them. Before I started to cook, I chopped everything, as I always do with stir fry type meals. Pepper, done. Garlic, ok. Ginger, done. Chicken, fine. Spring onions... ah. I have very sensitive eyes when it comes to onions, yes, even spring onions! This is why the chopping was challenging. Handling a sharp kitchen knife whilst your eyes are watering like mad isn't the safest thing to do... Luckily, I only had the chicken to chop afterwards.


Look how big the spring onions were. All my chopped veggies ready and raring to go.

I even took the time to 'finely' slice my chicken, as per the recipe!
 
 
All that remained after everything was prepped was to cook the chicken for a few minutes, add the peppers and garlic and cook for a few more, then add the noodles to reheat along with the spring onions and some soy sauce and chinese five spice powder. All over in about 10 minutes. And the portion size was huge! Perfect ;-)
 
 
These are the noodles for just one person!


As the chicken was so finely sliced, it broke up into small pieces whilst it was cooking; but I think this made it more 'chow mein like'. I don't really think this a traditional chow mein, but it certainly tasted good enough for me to overlook this!


My mountain of chow mein. Can't say it lasted long.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!