Friday 11 October 2013

Freestyle Friday #17

At the end of this week, I ended up with half an onion and half a green pepper in the fridge. I can't even remember what the other halves of them were used in... Not that it matters. The remaining halves I gently sauteéd for a few minutes, then added some curry poweder and sauteéd for a few more.
Just after I added the curry powder.

While this was going on, I had some basmati rice cooking. I had originally planned to overcook the rice, mash it into a sort of paste, and then make rice patty kind of things. But, I remembered that basmati rice (which is the only rice I have) isn't as 'sticky' as other types such as long grain, so I changed my plan. When the onion and pepper were soft, I tipped the rice into the pan, along with a teaspoon or so of curry paste. I like to make my own curry paste usually, but I used some out of a jar I have had for absolutely aaaaages, because I hate waste! And there is nothing wrong with the shop bought stuff every now and then!



I cooked it like this for about five minutes, then flipped it onto a plate and slid it back into the pan to cook the other side.

I got a quick snap of it when I flipped it out as it stayed together remarkably well, in case it all fell apart when I put it back in the pan!
 

 
I know I could have used an egg to bind it. But that would be too easy. Anyway, it did actually stay together quite well. There were a few bits of rice that were crunchy, and the rest of it was just like normal rice, only with slightly more bite- but it wasn't the kind of undercooked 'bite'. As it is currently grey and raining outside, the warmth and spiciness of this was very much welcome. Although imagine my horror when, after washing up, I realised that I had forgot to add in the sultanas I was going to! Me. Forget dried fruit. Let us never speak of this occasion again... All I can say is that they made a nice dessert, along with a cup of rooibos tea!
 
Steamy!
 
 
I added some mint leaves as a garnish because I had some. That is all I can say about that. It's Freestyle Friday, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!