Friday 17 May 2013

Freestyle Friday #12 and some Excellent Extras

Hello, and welcome to Freestyle Friday #12! It's good to be back. To be honest, I didn't really have much leftover this week, so it really was a challenge. I suppose that's good, because it shows I'm not being wasteful, but still...

I did however have three eggs, and you can do a lot with eggs. The only other things I had that were truely 'leftover' were a piece of sweet potato from my Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potato some mackerel from last nights tea, which I actually ate for lunch (more about that later.) Sooo, potato and eggs. One thing springs to mind. Frittata! I know I have been having them a lot lately, but they are just so good! (Othe recent frittatas include ham and spinach.) All I really did was slice the potato as thinly as I could, and then while that was cooking a little in the pan, I dealt with the eggs. All I did was whisk them! After adding seasoning of course. I also added a little turmeric. You know, because. It tasted ok, it dramatically changed the colour though, just look at the photos!

Slightly orange...

Very orange!

 
I took a photo in the pan, because I couldn't find my pastry brush to spread the oil evenly, so wasn't sure how well it would come out!

Not totally spot on, but pretty good I 'd say.
 
 
 
Now, rewind a few hours to lunch. I made a sandwich with the mackerel. On one slice of bread I spread some mango chutney, on the other slice I spread some curry paste. It may sound strange, but trust me, it was really good! A fabulous combination of smoky, sweet and spicy. Delicious, and really filling.
 
And now rewing a few more hours to yesterday's tea. I made Pasta with mackerel, Marsala and pine nuts; a recipe from Nigellisima, Nigella's Italian cookbook. You may be asking why it didn't get it's own post, and the only reason is, I just could not get a good photo of it! The kitchen was very steamy, and with the combination of not brilliant lighting, it just wasn't happening. However, it was so nice I had to mention it. Along with the aforementioned ingredients there were also sultanas, capers and onion. Again, a mix of salty and sweet. The pine nuts were toasted, and I love the taste of toasted nuts. Dried fruit and nuts, this dish was made for me!
 
Sadly, the best picture of the lot.
 
I'm starting a new challenge tomorrow, so be sure to check back tomorrow evening, when all will be revealed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!