Friday 14 December 2012

Freestyle Friday #3

Today was the first Freestyle Friday I didn't have an exact picture in my mind of how the dish was going to turn out. It was a little disconcerting, but fun to try at the end! I had quite a few left over veggie type things this week; half a tin of canned tomatoes, half an onion, the last of the not-that-nice tomatoes (read how I used the first of them here), about one third of a green pepper, a lemon that had been zested but not juiced, some sage leaves and some chestnut mushrooms. First of all I sliced the onions and browned them in a teenybit of truffle oil, while I roughly cubed the mushrooms. Then I added the mushrooms and stirred to coat them and left them to cook while I sliced the tomatoes. The sliced tomatoes were added along with the tinned tomatoes, and some capers. After that the juice of half the lemon. Finally, I sliced the sage leaves and stirred them through.
 
I enjoyed it; it was fresh but also comforting. My flatmate who tried it commented that it was a bit like ratatouille. I think the best way to describe it would be a cross between stew and ratatouille. I could have saved some to try cold, as ratatouille is also nice cold, but I was hungry... The only thing I would do differently next time would be not adding the sage leaves. They just didn't really 'go' in the dish, and they were a little too strong. However, this truely was freestyle and overall I think it turned out well!
 







Now for the less fun part!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!