Monday 5 May 2014

Pancakes, Chickpeas, Breakfast and Bakes

You know when you just get a sudden wanting for a certain food? Well that was me the evening before yesterday. I wanted pancakes. But healthy ones. So yesterday for lunch I had sweet potato pancakes! I made them with coconut flour and an apart from a pinch of ground ginger an egg and a splash of milk, that was everything. I cooked them more like little Scotch pancakes than crêpes, but I'd like to experiment with a more crêpe like batter in the future!

They were really yummy and satisfying. The texture wasn't as 'pancake like' as I thought it would be, more just like little sweet potato cakes. This isn't a minus point by any means, just an observation! I believe more experimentation is required ;)




As I said in my previous post, I have been at home for a little while until last week. To cut a very long story short, my mum and I were thinking of combinations of fruit and nut to go in yoghurt as a small dessert, or for lunch. I had half an apple that needed using, so the night before last I'd planned to have apple, mango and coconut. Alas, I was too full. I didn't want the apple to waste, so I decided to use the combination in my Bircher muesli today for breakfast. Let me tell you, it was wonderful! Apple and coconut may not be a classic combination, but it certainly worked. And mango and coconut always go well together. This one definitely gets ticked off the list!

If you're wondering, the black dots are chia seeds! They make it thicker and creamier, and help keep you full.

For lunch today I had something that I have been wanting to try for quite a while now- the classic combination of an egg in an avocado baked in the oven. Another success story, that will be repeated. I also had a slice of toast cut into soldiers for dipping, but it isn't strictly necessary. With or without, you have to try this!




Another part of lunch was roasted chickpeas. There are tons of combinations out there on the Internet, but I just rolled mine in cinnamon. They take on a crunchy texture with a kind of nutty taste. Good as a snack or part of a meal. The flavour combinations are many, so take a look around and you'll be sure to find one you like; sweet or savoury, there's bound to be one to suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!