Sunday 18 May 2014

Super Steak, Salmon and Salad

As I am still batch cooking for the week day meals for placements, I like to do something different on Saturdays and Sundays to keep variety. This weekend's meals are the subject of this post, and first on the menu is Saturday Steak.

I have to admit, I didn't really do anything special with the steak, but it was cooked just perfectly and I really enjoyed it- what I could taste of it with a blocked nose! It did feel like a bit of a waste as I couldn't totally taste it, but I still enjoyed it.


As the grill in this house is just silly to be quite honest, I griddled the steak. And I served it with onions which I slow cooked with some tomato pureƩ and garlic, and spinach which was simply wilted. I didn't put anything on the steak... just plain, meaty goodness!

For second course, Sunday Salmon and Salad. The salad I did was one that caught my eye last week. It's called Vitamin Boost Salad (a Sam Stern recipe), and as it had just lots of ingredients I love, I knew I had to have it. Dates, nuts, seeds and fruit (in the form of an orange). Right up my street! For a 'dressing' I just thinned down some wholegrain mustard to make it drizzle-able! I could eat that stuff by the spoonful, no kidding... I ended up with salmon because I was looking at the Runner's World list of the 30 Best Foods for Runners and I wanted to see how many I could eat this week (I'll update you at the end of next week!) and salmon was on it. I got tinned salmon as it was on offer, making it only 1p dearer than smoked salmon, and as it is usually quite dear I thought I'd take my chance!



To spread the salmony yumminess, I had half of it in a sandwich yesterday with lettuce and  tomato and half today. The sandwich was simple but delicious, I wish I'd taken a photo of that as well. But never mind, you can just look at my beautifully presented salad ;-)

Another Sunday, another batch of meals cooked. Only one more week of placement after this coming week though! Until next week. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!