Saturday 13 April 2013

Baking Bagels

I had a day off from studying, as I finishedm  exams yesterday, and one thing I did today was make bagels! I have made baguettes and ordinary bread before, but always with my mum, so it was quite an exciting moment!

It is a Nigella Lawson recipe (surprise!), and all in all I think they turned out ok. The recipe warned that the dough was very dry and stiff, and it really was. Usually you want a wet dough, but not in this case. Kneading was hard work, but got there eventually... although I don't think I needed to do my arms workout this morning! The problem was, because the dough was so dry, it didn't really come together very well, which was a problem when shaping the bagels. As you will soon see, they are quite rough around the edges, but they taste good so that's all that matters... for a first attempt, I don't think they are too bad. Next time I will try to get them neater, there will definitely be a next time. I managed to get a good shiny, hard outside like bagels usually have which I was pleased about.

I had one for tea with a mini salad of cherry tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, feta and red onion. Almost a Greek salad, although I didn't intend it at the start! Tomorrow I am going to have one warm, with Nutella... maybe with banana as well... Oh the possibilities...

Dry ingredients



Just after I mixed the liquid in

You can see here how dry it is!

In an oiled bowl, ready to rise...

Good luck!
 


A bit rough and ready, but ready to be poached and baked

One bagel!

 

Look how fluffy they are inside, not bad if I do say so myself!

Tea. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!