Wednesday 17 April 2013

Strange Soup

I'll come right out and say it, this recipe sounds weird... Egg and Lemon Soup. Not what you might call a traditional combination, but it is very popular in Greece. According to my recipe book anyway. It is a Greek soup, made with stock, lemon juice, rice and eggs. The eggs are just a thickening agent really, but I have to say, it was really, really nice. Unlike Chinese soup with eggs, where the point is to have strands, you pour the egg into the stock and rice slowly, and stir until it thickens, and you just end up with a really nice, thick soup! Seems a lot more luxurious than it is.

Before the eggs are added, they are whisked until they are frothy, and combined with the lemon juice and a ladleful of stock. I was quite excited to whisk the eggs, because I could use the whisking attachement for my food processor, which I haven't used before. Looking at it, I didn't really know how it would work, but I definitely trusted it to do the job, so I gave it a whirl. Literally.

Again, the weather was quite pleasant this evening, if not as sunny and warm as yesterday, and this was a nice Spring-like light soup to ring the changes of the seasons!

Hmmm...

...here goes...

... it works!

After adding the first bit of lemony, stocky egg- doesn't look very appetising, but give it time...

I borrowed my flatmate's mug to help me decant the second serving into a freezer bag, as I usually struggle with two hands and about three things to hold at once... why I haven't done this before, I don't know!

Ta-da! A lot tidier than usual!

With a bit of extra parsley on the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!