Thursday 18 April 2013

Marvellous Mexican Burritos

Bring on the burritos! They were a great success tonight, so bring 'em on for next time! The filling I had was borlotti beans, a homemade tomato sauce, a few pickled jalapenos and a bit of cheese. The borlotti beans gave a nice smokey, barbecque like flavour, which was nice next to the spiciness of the jalapenos and the salty cheese.

The tomato sauce was one I have made before, it is acctually a pasta sauce, but is used throughout the recipe book in a few other dishes. Even though the sauce is simple, it really is good. It's hard to describe... not too sweet, not too salty, none of the ingredients overpower each other... it's just... right! And it seems to go with everything! Half of the sauce is mixed with the beans and spread on the tortilla wraps, then red onions, then wrap them up! It was quite hard to get it neat, but I am quite pleased with my first attempt. After they have been baked, the rest of the sauce and cheese go on the top, and it is then grilled for a few minutes until everything is hot and bubbling. Fiery (well, mine was!) and filling, just the way I like it.

One thing I would say, if you are going to make this, is to make sure you drain the beans and even the tinned tomatoes well, otherwise they will just make the wraps soggy!

Simmering sauce- tomatoes, onion, garlic, sugar seasoning.

Ok so maybe I shouldn't have used a red bowl for this photo, but you get the idea!

Looks good already!

Baked...


...and bubbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!